A lot of hazardous metals were found in various makeup products that turn lipstick into carcinogenic lipstick. Makeup companies make billions of dollars each year.
And even if you regularly exercise caution and try to stay away from toxins in your diet, there is still a great chance to find them in your makeup.
Do you often check makeup labels? Chances are you don’t. And they are the ones you need to watch out the most. The US government requires no mandatory testing for cosmetic products before they struck the racks.
Antiperspirants, hair shampoo, lipsticks and other products connected to personal care generally are not tested for health compliance. Some of them do not even list their ingredients.
You could be ingesting high amounts of lead if you use the wrong lipstick. If you use lipstick numerous times a day, every day, there is a chance you are ingesting alarmingly high amounts of heavy metals like lead.
Keep in mind, you cannot just ingest chemicals. You can also absorb those chemicals through your skin, and this is mainly your makeup’s fault.
Harmful Chemicals That Cause Carcinogenic Lipstick
The Environmental Defense group performed a study where it tested 49 makeup products for their level of toxic metals. The tested items included:
- 5 foundations
- 8 lipsticks or glosses
- 4 powders
- 5 blushes or bronzers
- 14 eye shadows
- 7 mascaras
- 2 eye liners
- 4 concealers
The research has shown harmful levels of contamination in heavy metal in almost every item. Of all the products tested, about 96% had lead based ingredients, 90% had beryllium based ingredients, and 61% had thallium based ingredients. The research also discovered that 51% of the products had cadmium and 20% contained arsenic.
Harmful Metals Cause Carcinogenic Lipstick
In average, from the 8 metals tested, most of the products contained 4, and every single item tested contained at least 2 of the 4 metals that pose the highest health risks. These metals are lead, cadmium, mercury, and arsenic. These metals are very harmful and pose a significant health threat.
It deserves noting that an FDA report from a few years back, reported 400 different brand models of lipstick which contained some amounts of lead that could be traced. The report concluded that the levels of these metals were too small to present a health and safety threat, but Dr. Mark Mitchell, from the National Medical Association, says otherwise. He mentions that
“… lead can build up over time in the body, and if the particular lipstick that contains lead is applied several times a day, it can amount to alarming levels of exposure.”
In the initial study from the Environmental Defense group, at least 51% of those items tested had cadmium-based ingredients. Cadmium is known for its carcinogenic properties. Many studies in patients with breast cancer have found amounts of cadmium in their system.
And what is even more concerning is that a lot of the metals here don’t immediately cause problems of a more serious health nature. Rather, they make the body more prone to develop issues in the future. As a result, when used over many years, they can increase the risk of cancer and a lot of other health conditions.
List of carcinogenic lipstick
- (# 103c), Stargazer Lipstick
- (# 1005 Red Lizard), NARS Semi-Matte
- (# 410 Volcanic), L’Oreal Colour Riche
- (# 125 Pink Petal), Maybelline Color Sensational
- (# 165 Tickled Pink), L’Oreal Colour Riche
- (# 580 Ruby Remix), CoverGirl Queen Collection Vibrant Hues
- (# 27 Mauvey), Sonia Kashuk Luxury Lip Color
- (# 748 Heroic), L’Oreal Intensely Moisturizing Lipcolor
- (# 025 Warm Brick), CoverGirl Continuous Color
- (# 475 Mauve Me), Maybelline Color Sensation
- (# 009 Fabulous Fig), Revlon Matte
- (# 1009 Funny Face), NARS Semi-Matte
- (# 375 Ripened Red), Revlon ColorStay
- (# 558 Mad for Mauve), Avon Beyond Color
- (# 530 Mauve Amour), L’Oreal Endless
- (# 631 Luminous Pink), Revlon Super Lustrous Peal
- (Toffee), Burt’s Bees Lip Shimmer
- (# 643 Satin Plum), Revlon Super Lustrous Peal
List of non-carcinogenic lipstick
- Rejuva Minerals Pur Lips Lipstick
- Canyon Lipstick
- Maia’s Mineral Galaxy Lipstick
- Coastal Classic Creations
- Organic Infused Lip Love Lipstick
- W3ll People Extreme Lip Gloss
- Isoi Bulgarian Rose Lip Treatment Balm
- Bella Mari Pure Mineral Lipstick